Pilot Project for testing the multidisciplinary and transcultural model for meeting the most diffused social and medical needs of the homeless in accordance with the Ethos classification
The project, implemented by the NIHMP and by the Fio-psd (Italian Federation of the organisations working for the homeless), aims at testing in Europe and in Italy the multidisciplinary activities and the transdisciplinary and transcultural model adopted at the NIHMP. Thanks to a multidimensional and integrated work, the model will be tested in European and Italian social and health care services mostly addressed to homeless people. The project partners were selected on the basis of their social and geographical origin and of their typology (from first aid stations to health care, reception and diagnosis services for the homeless).
In particular, the project has the following objectives:
1. Implementation of a multidisciplinary study on the literature about the most prominent and diffused social and health factors influencing homeless people’s conditions in European and in Italian urban areas;
2. Testing of multidisciplinary social and health care model to face the most prominent and diffused social and health factors influencing homeless people’s conditions in accordance with the Ethos classification. A fieldwork analysis will be implemented in European metropolitan areas by adopting a transdisciplinary and transcultural approach;
3. Start-up of a European network peer to peer scientific review on the testing of the multidisciplinary and transcultural model for meeting the most prominent and diffused social and medical needs of the homeless in accordance with the Ethos classification;
4. Data collection and analysis;
5. Promotion of an agreement conference with the participation of European experts and of the staff of involved operative units;
6. Publication of data and results of the testing;
7. Creation of a web based software for managing and processing the classification system planned for the implemented model.
The centres participating in the project are S.C. Medicina e Chirurgia d’accettazione e d’Urgenza dell’E.O. Ospedali Galliera di Genova, the St Mungo’s in London and the SundhedsTeam (HealthTeam for Homeless) in Copenhagen.
It operates in London, Reading, Oxford and Bristol. It provides shelters, day care centres, mobile units, outreach activities and services to prison inmates, to the homeless and to people at risk of losing their house. It also provides health care, mental health services and drug and alcohol support. It also provides skill and employment services.
All the activities actively involve the assisted person in a comprehensive way. A number of specialist medical services are offered by adopting a multidisciplinary approach.
SundhedsTeam (HealthTeam for Homeless)
The team provides primary care and a mediation service between the person and the health care service, also allowing access to secondary health care.
It carries out outreach activities in order to meet people on the street, they use bicycles as a means of transport. It tries to act in a quick way, by giving priority to emergency situations.
The objective of the team is to create a relationship with the homeless, trying to help people to reach more structured services.